Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My weekend away

Last weekend I had the opportunity to get out of the city, away from the kids, and hubby, the phone, and computer, the cooking and cleaning, and all the other things that beg for my attention on any given weekend.  I joined 50 + other women at a retreat at a beautiful camp South-east of the city.   Although the weekend  provided plenty of time to catch up with friends, even more importantly it was a time out, to re-focus my relationship with Jesus.  The speaker this year Grace Fox, a fairly well known Canadian speaker and author.  She spoke a lot about our desire to be used by God, to know his plan for our lives, as he proclaims to have for us in Jeremiah 29:11.  What she reminded us of, was that although we are to be the hands and feet of Jesus sharing the truth of salvation through Him, we must not neglect our first love.  There is nothing greater than to know, and be known by the One who created us, the One who knit us together in our mother's womb, and knows our innermost being.  If we neglect to spend time resting in, and learning more about that relationship, we limit our capacity to be used by Him, and we run the risk of not being aware of all the opportunities around us to engage in loving people, and pointing them towards the love of the Father who wants to be in relationship with them.  I was reminded of the importance of nurturing that relationship this past weekend.  Through some other insights I was also gently reminded that not all of us are called to great and  mighty things at every chapter in our lives.  Sometimes the greatest mission we have is to be effective right were we are.  What's that saying, "loom where you're planted"?  Right.  Although there are many days where it certainly doesn't feel like much, I am coming to see that my being a patient, loving, and present mother, who provides for, is there for, and loves, with an unconditional love each of my girls is my highest calling at this chapter in my life.  How close I keep my relationship with God, and how much I see my own worth in Him, can greatly affect the type of mother I am to my girls.  It may not sound glamorous, but it's a mission I choose to accept and fulfill to the best of my ability.  Praise God that he is merciful, patient, and loving with me, as there are many days where I lose focus and behave in such a way as to say that "I am the belly button of the world, and all else is secondary".  I'm not proud to admit it, but it's true.  Brutal honesty.  The weekend was lovely.  In addition to Grace's wonderful sessions, I enjoyed time leading worship with these lovely ladies...

sledding, like a big kid down this toboggan run with some 'big kid' friends

and Zumba-ing with the ever so charming Eddi

All in all, a wonderful weekend away to refresh and recharge, and re-focus on what's most important in my life.  John 15 was a key passage for the weekend and continues to run through my mind.   I encourage you to have a peek at it, you never know what nugget of truth or inspiration may be waiting for you.

Thanks for stopping by today,

♥S. Pin It

No comments: