Friday, April 12, 2013

Hybrid Titles - Masking

Morning all!

Thought I'd share a tutorial that I had up on the Chic Tags blog with all of you today.

I often use multiple style stickers and/or fonts for my titles, but in this case I decided to incorporate multiple medias as well.

I have no doubt that we all have at least one package of these sitting around.
Look familiar?  Old alphabet stickers we've had for years, that are now falling loose in their packaging.  Creating a masked title is a great way to use these guys up.

The first thing I did was lay down all my elements on the page in my preferred design.  Don't be afraid to lightly press your alphabet stickers down, as there is so little adhesive left on oldies that they remove quite easily once masked.

Once I knew where things were generally going to be, I removed everything I did not want to be masked.

Using my gorgeous Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Primrose I sprayed over my title area, as well as on the bottom right of where my photo/embellished cluster would sit.  Next I splattered a few Mr. Huey's in Lemonade (a nice soft yellow) around the page.
Once all my misting was complete I used my Making Memories tweezers to remove the letters (this keeps my hands clean of all the mist laying on top of the alphabet stickers).
Now I am free to adhere the rest of my page elements.  The word "love" is a Silhoutte cut file that I've sprayed with Taxi colour Mr. Huey's.
After adding the journaling to my hidden Chic Tag, my layout was complete.  But looking at it, I felt it was still looking a little plain Jane.  To fix the situation I added one more shade of Mr. Huey's splatters in Bluegrass, it's pretty much a perfect match to the blue/green shade in the Road Trip Collection.

And this is the finished layout.
Hope you're feeling inspired to give masking and/or a hybrid title a go.  Feel free to pop over the the Chic Tags blog to see links to all the tags I've used on this project.

That's it for me.  As always thanks for popping in today, I hope you're in for a great weekend. Pin It

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Sweet! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm gonna try this.
Have a great weekend.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I just loveeeeeeeeeeeeee how you did that title!! GORGEOUS!!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful idea! This layout looks fantastic!

Leigh Penner said...

What a fabulous layout, Sherri! Thanks for sharing your technique!

Gina said...

such a gorgeous page Sherri and love the technique!..CONGRATS on having it featured today on the Paper Issues blog ;) x

Unknown said...

Stickers however are just as charming and much simpler to place on your required area. Just choose where you want your sticker to go and properly put it on, that's all!

Custom Foil Stickers